Master of Magic Direct Download
Master of Magic is a combination of an RPG and a strategy game, a remake of a classic from the 90s. In Master of Magic you take up the role of one of 14 unique and diverse great wizards who compete with each other to dominate the worlds of Arcanus and Myrror. Choose from different schools of magic and fantasy races to command, then lead your minions and expand your influence and power across the land. Recruit and command mighty armies of elves, dragons, dwarves, orcs and many more. Support them with powerful spells. Fight tactical turn-based battles and affect the outcome with your magic. Research new spells, engage in alchemy, perform rituals and use your arcane powers to change the world around you. Always beware of the machinations of your rival wizards, who seek to reach your same goals. But in the end, remember: there can be only one Master of Magic.
From what I have seen so far of the game, it is a “Faithful” reproduction of the original Master of Magic, with some modern quality of life improvements. I can say without hesitation that it’s more fun to play than the original, which is one of my favorite games. If you’ve never played the original MoM, it may be too faithful for you, and not “modern” enough. That’s a bit hard to predict. If you are a fan of the original MoM, you still may not like this, and that’s what I want to talk about here. Especially after I see all of the review bombing of a product that does exactly what it was intended to do. Here I should say that while I was an original QA tester for the first MoM, and that I helped pave the way for the 2K Games remake of XCOM by killing the Civilization Online project and freeing up resources, and I was involved in the remake of Master of Orion, I have no skin in the game on this product I am reviewing, only my perspective.
Master of Magic Direct Play:
I bring all that up because when a developer wants to do a remake of a highly cherished older game, they have basically two paths: They can do a “faithful” remake, which is cheaper, easier, faster, lower risk, and less likely to upset the fan base. Or they can do a modern reboot and try to improve substantially on the original. An example of the “faithful” approach was the remake of Master of Orion. An example of the “modernisation” of a game is the 2K Games reboot of XCOM. When Wargaming acquired the IP for MoO during the Atari firesale, I was the only global design director at Wargaming, but my specialty was economics and metagame. I pushed very hard for an XCOM style reboot. I argued that many design elements in the original game would not age well and even hardcore fans would be disappointed with a faithful remake. Because the budget ended up being cut, this position was no longer useful at some point and I was taken off of the MoO remake team with predictable results. Results that are almost identical to the review response you are seeing here with MoM.
- Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
- OS: Windows 10/11 (64 bit)
- Processor: i5-4460 (or equivalent)
- Memory: 12 GB RAM
- Graphics: Direct X 11 class GPU with 2GB VRAM
- DirectX: Version 11
- Storage: 10 GB available space
- Sound Card: DirectX compatible sound device
- Click the Download Here button above and you should be redirected to GamesDatabase.
- Wait 5 seconds and click on the grey ‘download now’ button. Now let the download begin and wait for it to finish.
- Once the game is done downloading, right click the .zip file and click on “Extract to” (To do this you must have 7-Zip or winrar, which you can get here).
- Double click inside the Master of Magic folder and run the exe application.
- Thats all, enjoy the game! Make sure to run the game as administrator and if you get any missing dll errors, look for a file named All In One Runtimes.exe run this and install it.